Saturday 14 June 2014

Daisy daisy...

...give me your answer, do.
I'm half crazy,
 all for the love of you.


So I thought I'd start the relaunch of my blog by sharing my current favourite look with you through the art of a tutorial! 


My current obsession is definitely daisies. I've always been in love with 90s grunge fashion: teaming floral prints, romantic laces, and floaty dresses with big boots and jackets or chunky knit cardigans. One of the dominating prints of this style is the daisy and I've been going mad for it in dresses, skirts, jewellery, and now nails!

So how can you achieve this look? Let's find out...



Firstly you'll need:
  • A base/top coat
  • A background colour 
  • A petal colour
  • A capitulum colour - for those of you that don't know, the capitulum is the centre of the daisy!
  • Dotting tools/nail art pen - I'll be using the dotters for the purpose of the tutorial.

1. Apply your chosen base coat to your nail to provide an even base and prevent staining. I've used a Natural Collection clear coat.

2. Apply your background colour as desired and allow to dry. I've used 2 coats of Topshop's 'Cloak and Dagger' for a grungy look but you can go for something softer for a more girly romantic look, or something brighter for a more summery pop!

3. Take a medium dotting tool (or toothpick, hair grip, pin etc if you don't have one) and dip it in your chosen petal colour. I've gone for traditional white with Barry M's 'Matt White' but again you can use whatever you fancy depending on what look you want to go for.

4. Draw on your petals one by one in a wheel-spoke pattern. Its ok if it looks a bit messy, this just adds to the look. You can either do all the petals this way or...

5. Take a smaller dotting tool in your petal colour and make smaller/shorter petals in the gaps between the big ones. 

6. Using the largest dotter in your chosen capitulum colour, place a large dot in the centre of your flower. I've used Barry M's 'Lemon Ice Cream'.

7. Allow to dry thoroughly, apply your top coat, et voilà



You can repeat the flowers in any distribution you like. I mixed it up with a single flower on a couple of nails and a few on others. You can just have it as an accent nail or all over the shop. This look is very flexible once you know what to do :D

Not that I'm obsessed or anything...



If you like what you see, check out my other nail art tips and tricks, and don't forget to follow me here and/on Blog Lovin! Any questions or comments, or if you've tried this look and want to share, check out the comment box below :D






No comments:

Post a Comment